Experienced Family Law Attorney You Can Trust

Can I modify a child support order?

On Behalf of | Feb 26, 2020 | Firm News |

When California parents divorce, the court decides on support payments. Based on many factors, they give an order to the supporting parent to pay a certain amount every month. But are you locked into that payment forever? Today we will answer that question.

The judicial branch of California talks about changing a child support order. The court understands that life is always changing. Your financial situation will not always stay the same. Your ex-spouse’s financial situation may also change. What happens in either of these cases? You can submit a request to have your child support order modified. Some valid reasons for requesting a modification include:

  • One parent losing a job
  • One or both parents experiencing a change in income
  • One parent having a child from another relationship
  • The imprisonment of a parent
  • The child’s needs change
  • The amount of time the child spends with both parents changes
  • Any other factors that determined the initial payment change

Some of these situations are more common than others. For example, people change jobs often. If you lose a job, you lose your source of income. You can no longer pay child support on top of keeping yourself afloat. This is a good reason to request a modification.

If your ex-spouse marries into another family, their new spouse may support them. You can request a modification in this case, too, as the child has another source of support. The same may occur if your ex-spouse comes into money through inheritance, lottery or so on. If you believe you have good reason to request a modification, you can submit the request.